Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sleepwalking

I finished reading "The Algebraist" a few days ago, but haven't made it to the library yet to pick up something new. Last night, desperation drove me to pull "A Tale Of Two Cities" from my bookshelf (we read it in 11th grade English class; i saved my copy). After the first page i realized that i was too tired and distracted to be able to focus on Dickins, so i gave up; set the book on my nightstand, and turned on NPR to let the BBC News lull me to sleep instead.

Overslept this morning; finally dragged myself out of bed around 9:30 (been watching the Olympics every night; my body isn't used to staying up so consistently late anymore) and started my morning routine. When i logged in to check my email and facebook, i noticed "A Tale Of Two Cities" sitting on my coffee table. The book which i know i left on my nightstand is now in the living room, and i have no memory of moving it.

I vaguely remember other instances of sleepwalking over the years - waking up and finding my pillow in the hallway, for example, or other objects moved.

One time in particular (when i was living in Urbana) i was having an intense dream in which i was being chased through a forest by something big & scary. I realized that i couldn't outrun it, so i finally decided to turn and face the creature. I crouched behind a tree, hoping to take it by surprise. Right as it approached, i woke up...crouched behind the chair in my living room, soaked in sweat, heart pounding, gasping for breath. It took me several minutes to realize what was going on as the eerily-lit woods faded and my dark living room materialized.

On a related note, this seems to be happening more and more of late: I'll half-wake up in the morning, realize that i need to get going, fall asleep again, and then dream my attempts to get out of bed. My physical body's inability to move is translated into the dream where i'll struggle to move (and fail). It'll feel like i'm trying to swim through molasses, or suffocating under an invisible force. Not very pleasant; usually i'll give up on trying to move and finally wake up a few minutes later. But occasionally i'll be able to wrench myself awake - into a nice bit of sleep paralysis :-/

...

I've watched more tv in a week and a half than i have in the past year combined. And since my ReplayTV is dead, i have to actually sit here and *watch* live (which i haven't done at all in a good 4-5 years).

But i really have been enjoying the Olympics. All of the events have been fun to watch (or at least the ones that NBC is airing), but gymnastics have been my favorite summer game for a long time - ever since Barcelona in 1992 when i first discovered the sport (and developed a bit of a crush on Kim Zmeskal, heh). Even in the complicated world of start values, age controversy, etc, the strength, agility, and pure skill of these young athletes is just spectacular.

...

As a final note, i realized this afternoon that i don't know what day it is today. I didn't bother checking, as it doesn't really matter right now, and i'm getting an odd bit of satisfiction out of not knowing.

4 comments:

  1. I knew I was getting too into the Olympics when I started actually getting really angry at the underage Chinese gymnasts.

    Oddly, early in the week I didn't know what to read either and I picked up Jane Eyre. Reading Brit Lit does take some getting used to (again) though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough, i didn't mind much that they're underage. What did piss me off was the inconsistent judging. Although i don't think anyone was as pissed off as Bela.

    Do you think i'd enjoy Jane Eyre? It's buried in my list somewhere. On a related note, the San Jose library failed - they have none of the books you recommended, nor any of the others near the top of my list. I put in an inter-library loan request.

    To fill the gap, i stopped by this great used bookstore in Mountain View and bought a copy of "Catcher In The Rye". I think we read that one in high school as well, but i don't remember much about it. Really enjoying it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's possible for anyone to be as angry as Bela. You're right about the inconsistant judging though.

    I have no idea. It's always been one of my favorites, but I hadn't read it recently. There are parts that seemed a bit bizarre when I read them again.

    I can't believe the San Jose library is so lame. If I can find books at my hometown library (that I find to be one of the lamest libraries I've ever used), then you should be able to find books at a city library in California.

    I've never read Catcher in the Rye, although I've heard good things. IIRC, it's one of Alvan's favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be fair, there are a ton of libraries scattered around south bay, and i've only been to one (my friends claim it's the best one around, but i don't know if i believe them). And they do have some of the books i want, but they're usually taken. I just need to get used to requesting all of my books online and relying on the inter-library system.

    I've just been spoiled by the Urbana Free Library, and being able to walk in at any given time and find exactly what i'm looking for.

    ReplyDelete