Tuesday, December 2, 2008

[Nostalgia] The Best of 1991-92

Inspired by a friend's discovery of an old mixtape, i dug out my shoebox full of old cassettes (which i refuse to get rid of even though i no longer own a tape deck (except for my old, dead Walkman which i also refuse to get rid of)) looking for a particular artifact from my youth. I found it:



Note that this isn't necessarily the *best* of 1991-92, but rather the best songs i managed to tape from the radio. Which is what we had to do back in the old days before the internet or digital music existed. (And yes, i did walk to school barefoot through three feet of snow uphill both ways.) It wasn't easy - queuing up the right spot on your blank, listening intently, ready to hit the record button at just the right instant. For a while i was obsessed with getting "clean" recordings, i.e. without the DJ talking over the intro, but that was just about impossible. Anyway.

The Best of 1991-92

Side A
1. Naughty By Nature - O.P.P
2. MC Shy-D - Shake It
3. O.P.P. (sunny days remix)
4. Grandmaster Slice - Thinking of You
5. Michael Jackson - Black or White
6. MC Hammer - 2 Legit 2 Quit
7. Ghetto Boys - My Mind's Playing Tricks on Me
8. MC Hammer - The Addams Family
9. O.P.P (another remix?)
10. Color Me Badd - Slow Motion

Side B
1. Michael Jackson - Black or White
2. DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince - You Saw My Blinker, Bitch
3. Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch - Wildside
4. Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch - Good Vibrations
5. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
6. Prince - Diamonds and Pearls
7. Paula Abdul - Vibeology
8. Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch - I Need Money
9. Vanessa Williams - Save The Best For Last
10. Maria


I also found another tape labeled "Popular Songs From 96.3 FM" (do you guys from back home remember 96.3?) containing many of the above plus Kris Kross, a lot more Color Me Badd, "Drop The Bass", and tons more.

Go ahead, pull them up on youtube - you know you want to :-)

4 comments:

  1. Ha! Those are some timeless songs! :-P Did the Hammer song even have lyrics other than repeating "2 Legit, 2 Legit to quit" over & over? And I'd forgotten all about the Addams Family being a hit.

    I think I tossed out all of my jr high/hs mix tapes (most taped from 96.3) a few years ago, but I think I might still have a Vanessa Williams CD with "Save the Best for Last" that I found at a resale shop. It's in our garage sale bin with a bunch of 90s country CDs, and no one will ever buy them even if we ever get around to having a sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the chorus is just the one line, but there are verse lyrics in which Hammer explains that he is, indeed, too legit to quit.

    You know what i remember about the Addams Family rap, Em? Working on a social studies project at your house with you and Nathan (i think). We had the radio on and heard that song like a million times over a few hours. Then you put on your Phantom of the Opera tapes instead :-)

    Do you have any 90s cds in your bin that aren't country?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I remember those days. Sitting with your finger on the record button, waiting for a song the radio station promised to play 45 minutes before. Listening to a song that starts half a minute in because you weren't fast enough.

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg, I made mix tapes too!!!!

    I have one from the late 90s. I liked hearing the radio djs....except mine had bad pop on it, like Betwitched and Eminim!

    ReplyDelete