Monday, June 29, 2009

A tribute to Michael Jackson



There's nothing i can say about Michael Jackson's amazing music and dance and immense impact on pop culture that hasn't already been said. But i would like to speak a little about his influence on my own dancing, and then share a silly video clip.

Like many others, i've spent plenty of time trying to learn some of his moves and choreography (most notably, "Beat It" and (of course) "Thriller"). I also spent years teaching myself how to moonwalk, and i daresay i can hold my own.

In the swing scene back in Champaign-Urbana (where i first learned to dance and came into my own), we were always encouraged to put ourselves into our dance; to make it our own. Intermediate (and even beginning) lindy always included a strong emphasis on musicality; working with different types of music, figuring out what works (upbeat & energetic, slow & swanky, etc). But it didn't stop there. One of my instructors played "Bad" in class one day and made us figure out how to lindy to it - that really opened up my mind to the possibilities. He and several others would also include some non-swing stuff in their DJ sets. Completely shattered the idea that swing dancing requires swing *music*. Chumbawamba, Moby, KMFDM, Green Day - it all works, if you free your mind.

Of course, Michael Jackson tunes would periodically come through at the Thursday dances (usually later at night, when people were feeling saucy). Many of us would dance lindies ranging from comically fun to smooth criminal awesome. Or sometimes we'd hang out and trade moonwalk tips or show off bits of choreo.

Like many fledgeling dancers, i used to spend time watching others on the dance floor and borrow moves & ideas - in addition to exploring what came to me naturally. I slowly built up a variety of styles (to go with different styles of music), but found my favorite to be a smooth, slippery style; lots of sweeps and spins, sliding around the floor. Lots of MJ-esque breaks. It was like "Wow, i can actually *use* all of this stuff i've been screwing around with!" I remember once, after my turn in a friend's blusey birthday dance, another friend said to me "Dude, your swingouts are so cool; you look like you're on ice." Yeah, i was practically glowing from the compliment.

And of course i'm sure you back home remember my song of choice for my own birthday and farewell dances ("It's close to miiiid-night...").

...

Anyway, i recorded this video back in February of 2005. I was just messing around at home in Champaign (i loved my wood floors) and suddenly wondered what my moonwalk actually looked like. Busted out my digital camera & spent the night recording bunches of short clips of myself being a dork. This was the best one from the lot; nothing overly impressive, but just an example of MJ-inspired fun.

I would now like to share it as a tribute to Michael Jackson.

(sorry for the lack of editing, by the way; the action runs from ~0:12-0:30)



(Facebookers, please click here for the video)

Michael Jackson
August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009

Rest in peace. Your songs will always be remembered, and your dance moves will always be emulated (especially by dorks like me).

2 comments:

  1. omg, that is AWESOME!!!

    I have never seen you dance like that...so smooth!

    rock out.

    and RIP Michael Jackson.

    ReplyDelete